This article is for anyone who is responsible for setting up and maintaining approval workflows for their organization.
There are 3 workflows in Senate that require approval:
- Term Sheets
- Data Licenses
- Data Listings in the Catalog
What is a term sheet?
Term Sheets in Senate are created by your organization for any data uploaded for exchange. They are agreements between your organization and Data Republic to define controls around how data can be shared. (Note: term sheets contain broad terms around how data can be shared vs. data licenses in projects which contain more specific terms around how data can be used for a particular project)
Term sheet approval workflow
- Term Sheets are created, submitted to an approver group and then submitted to Data Republic to approve.
- One or more users in your organization can be added to an approver group to receive notification, however, only one user in the group needs to approve.
- Notification: the term sheet creator will receive an email notification when the term sheet status is approved or rejected.
Term sheet permissions
- TERMSHEET_CREATOR - can create and submit term sheets
- TERMSHEET_ORGANISATION_APPROVER_GROUP - can approve term sheets
What is a data license?
Data Licenses are created in a project to formalize terms of a data exchange. Data Licenses specify the name of the licensee organization (data recipient), data packages to be exchanged, conditions for permitted use of data, access term for data packages and related commercials.
Data license approval workflow
- Data Licenses are created and submitted to each organization's approver group.
- Upon approval by all organizations (i.e. licensee and data custodian organizations), the Data Republic platform admin will need to approve the license before data access can be provisioned.
- Note: Approvers don't need to be added to a project to approve the license. However, if you require the approver to participate in project conversations you must add them to the project. Anyone in the approver group will receive a notification when a license has been submitted for approval, however, only one user from the group needs to approve.
- Notification: the licensee org approver(s) and submitter will receive an email notification when the license has been approved or rejected.
Data license permissions
- PROJECT_BROWSER/PROJECT_CREATOR - can create and submit data licenses. This means anyone in the project can create, update, and submit a license for review.
- LICENCE_ORGANISATION_APPROVER_GROUP - can approve data licenses
Data Listings in the Catalog
What is a Data Listing?
Data Listings are created to manage data exchange with other organizations. They contain a description of the data package for exchange, the data package itself, meta data and may include other information such as pricing, potential use cases and applications. Based on this information, users can decide whether the dataset is useful and can request access.
Data listing approval workflow
- Data listings are created and submitted to an approver group to review and approve.
- Visibility of the listing can only be set up once a data listing has been approved for publishing.
- Notification: there is currently no notification workflow for listings. The approver will need to inform the listing submitter if the listing is rejected.
Data listing permissions
LISTING_CREATOR - can create and submit listings; update visibility for published listings
LISTING_PUBLISHER - can approve listings and set the visibility (i.e. select a Catalog to publish to)