Use the project’s Conversations tab to communicate with project members. Use it to discuss important topics for the project, including
- project aims and expected outcomes
- permitted use of data and licensing
- data sources to use and how access them
In this article you will learn about:
- Types of Conversations
- The project's default conversation
- Creating a new conversation
- How to add someone to a conversation
- How to send a message
- Message notifications
Types of Conversations
There are two types of conversation:
- the default conversation which is created automatically when you create a project. Everyone who is part of your project is part of this conversation, even if you add them to the project later.
- restricted access conversations where only the people you invite have access to the conversation. People you add to this conversation can also invite other project members to join.
Avoid the temptation to create conversations for each topic. Instead, think of conversations as groups of people you need to discuss a range of issues with. If you have too many conversations you may lose track of who said what where.
The project's default conversation
The default conversation has the same name as the project.
If you want to restrict the communications to a select list of collaborators, then create a new conservation as required. Only collaborators who have been invited to the conversation can participate in it. Any people you invite to the conversation can invite others.
Creating a new conversation
Click the Conversations tab and click Start a new conversation
On the Create conversation screen:
- Give the conversation a name.
- Click Create conversation.
The new conversation is shown.
Adding someone to a conversation
Before you can add someone to a conversation, they must already be added to the project.
To add someone to a conversation, click on the title of the conversation.
Click Add person to conversation.
Select the person to add to the conversation and then click Done.
The person is added to the conversation and they will receive an email to notify them.
To send a message all collaborators in the conversation, click on the title of the conversation.
On the Conversation screen, type the message and then click Post Reply.
The conversation is shown.
Notifications for unread conversation messages will be delivered in Senate as well as by email.
Message notifications in Senate
Unread message notifications appear on the top right corner of Senate.
Click on the notification bell, and click on the Conversation you want to view.
The new message will be displayed.
Message notifications by email
Unread message notifications will also be delivered by email.
Click Open to view the Conversation message in Senate.