Once a Discovery Workspace (DW) virtual machine (VM) has been approved and is in 'running' status, request to load data to the workspace VM. Anyone added to the project can make a data load request
What data can I load?
- Data packages: load any data package listed in your approved data license
- A token match table (for data matching projects): load a token match table if you are using the Senate Matching service to execute a data match on Senate
Can I update a package before loading?
Yes, you can update a package and load it to a VM in the workspace; however, your permitted use in the data license must allow for package updates / new versions to be added.
- To add/remove files or tables: Create a new version of the package to modify file or table references. Add the new package version to your project, and request a load to the workspace. Note: any existing data in the workspace will remain.
- To update table data only: Load a new file to the table using Manage Data. In your project, request a package load to the workspace (a new package version does not need to be created). Note: If there are existing tables in your workspace by the same name, data will be replaced (not appended).
How is data loaded to multiple VM's in a workspace?
If multiple VM's have been created in a workspace:
- A data package containing tables can be loaded to a single virtual machine (VM). All VM's within the workspace will have access to the same redshift database schema; therefore, the same package does not need to be loaded to other VM's (to avoid the creation of duplicate database schemas).
- A data package containing files (e.g. documents) can be loaded to all VM's if access is required by all users. A copy of the file(s) will be placed in the local directory for each VM.
In this article you will learn how to:
- you have created a project
- you have added people to your project
- a data package has been added to your project
- your licence has been approved by all parties
- you workspace has been created and approved
1. Load data packages to your workspace
Note: All package load requests to a workspace are tracked and versioned for audit purposes.
To request a package load to a workspace:
- In the Workspaces tab, click on a workspace name to view workspace details.
- Click Load data packages to workspace
If this is your first data package load request and there is no data in the workspace:
A list of approved data packages from your license will be displayed:
- Select the packages you want to load
- Click add packages
- Review your request and click Submit.
If you have existing data in the workspace and need to load a new package:
1. Request a new load by clicking on Create Version. The load request is versioned for audit purposes.
2. Check the box next to the packages you want to load:
- You can re-load the same package or select a new package to load.
- Loading of new packages: If you load a new package, this will not remove any existing data in the workspace.
- Re-loading of same package(s): Any tables in the package will replace existing tables by the same name in the workspace (this means data in the table will be replaced, rather than appended); Any files in the package will be copied to a new folder in the local directory of the VM.
3. Click Update to confirm your selection
4. Review your request and click Submit
Approval of data package load requests
- When Data Republic approves the request, the request will change from for review to processing and then approved. This may take a few minutes.
- The user who submitted the request will receive an email notification of the approved package and a link to log into Senate and view the workspace tab in their project:
2. Load a token match table to your workspace
***For Senate Matching projects only***
Request to add a token match table so you can perform a join between tokenized data tables in your workspace.
Note: You can make this request before or after a package is loaded. The data package must already be configured for Senate Matching.
To request a token match table for your workspace:
- Click Load tokens to workspace
- Select the data license that governs the token match request, and the field to match against; if you select All fields, your token match table will display additional information on which fields two tokens have matched against.
- Click Add tokens
- Click Submit.
Approval of token load requests
- When Data Republic approves a request, the request will change from for review to processing and then approved.
- The user who submitted the token match request will be notified when the token match table is available in the workspace.
An example of a token match table (where all fields were selected for matching) is below.
- The token match table can be viewed by selecting the redshift database schema from SQL Workbench
- The token match table displays which fields two tokens have matched on