When troubleshooting complex issues, it is sometimes necessary for our customer success team to obtain additional information about the network requests that are generated in your browser and the configuration settings while an issue occurs. A customer success team member may request that you record a HAR file (a log of network requests) or the JSON configuration file (settings and permissions being sent from our app) while that issue is occurring and then provide that to them for further analysis.
Note: Keep in mind that HAR files contain sensitive data, including content of the pages you downloaded while recording and your cookies. This allows anyone with the HAR file to impersonate your account and all the information that you submitted while recording (personal details, passwords, credit card numbers, etc.).
Below are some instructions about how you can easily generate these files using different browsers.
Generate the HAR file for Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and go to the page where the issue is occurring.
- Look for the Vertical ellipsis button and select More Tools > Developer Tools.
- From the panel opened, select the Network tab.
- Look for a round Record button in the upper left corner of the tab, and make sure it is red. If it is grey, click it once to start recording.
- Check the box Preserve log.
- Click the Clear button to clear out any existing logs from the Network tab.
- Reproduce the issue that you were experiencing before, while the network requests are being recorded.
- Once you have reproduced the issue, right-click anywhere on the grid of network requests, select Save as HAR with Content, and save the file to your computer.
- Upload your HAR file to your ticket or attach it to your email so that our Support team can analyze it.
Generate the HAR file for Firefox
- Open Firefox and go to the page where you are experiencing trouble.
- Select the Firefox menu (three horizontal parallel lines) at the top-right of your browser window, then select Web Developer > Network.
- The Developer Network Tools opens as a docked panel at the side or bottom of Firefox. Click the Network tab.
- The recording autostarts when you start performing actions in the browser.
- Once you have reproduced the issue and you see that all of the actions have been generated in the Developer Network Panel (should just take a few seconds), right-click anywhere under the File column, and click on Save all as Har.
- Save the HAR file somewhere convenient.
- Upload your HAR file to your ticket or attach it to your email so that we may analyze it.
Generate the HAR file for Edge
Edge natively produces HAR files. For more instructions, see the instructions from the Microsoft website.
- Open the Network tool in F12 developer tools.
- Reproduce the issue.
- Export captured traffic as a HAR (CTRL + S).
Generate the JSON configuration
You will need to know which Data Republic platform region (AU, US or SG) you use in order to generate the JSON file. If you are unsure of your Data Republic platform region, please reach out to our customer success team (email@example.com) who will be able to confirm that for you.
- Click the link below that corresponds to the Data Republic platform region you use
Data Republic platform Australia
Data Republic platform USA
Data Republic platform Singapore
- Save the JSON file. You can use ctrl+s if you are working on a Windows computer or cmd+s for Mac.
- Upload your JSON file to your conversation or attach it to your email so that we may analyze it.
Example JSON configuration file