This article is for anyone who is responsible for setting up and maintaining approval workflows for their organization.
There are 2 workflows in Senate that require approval:
- Data Licenses
- Data Listings in the Catalog
What is a data license?
Data Licenses are created in a project to formalize terms of a data exchange. Data Licenses specify the name of the licensee organization (data recipient), data packages to be exchanged, conditions for the intended use of data, access term for data packages and related commercials.
Data license approval workflow
- Data Licenses are created and submitted to each organization's approver group.
- Only users from the Data Licensee organization may submit the license.
- Upon approval by all organizations (i.e. licensee and data custodian organizations), the Data Republic platform admin will need to approve the license before data access can be provisioned.
- Note: Approvers don't need to be added to a project to approve the license. However, if you require the approver to participate in project conversations you must add them to the project. Anyone in the approver group will receive a notification when a license has been submitted for approval, however, only one user from the group needs to approve.
- Notification: the licensee org approver(s) and submitter will receive an email notification when the license has been approved or rejected.
Data license permissions
- Project - Access or Project - Create - enables users to create and submit data licenses. This means anyone in the project can create, update, and submit a license for review.
- License - Organisation Approver - can approve data licenses on behalf of their organization.
Data Listings in the Catalog
What is a Data Listing?
Data Listings are created to manage data exchange with other organizations. They contain a description of the data package for exchange, the data package itself, meta data and may include other information such as pricing, potential use cases and applications. Based on this information, users can decide whether the dataset is useful and can request access.
Data listing approval workflow
- Data listings are created and submitted to an approver group to review and approve.
- Visibility of the listing can only be set up once a data listing has been approved for publishing.
- Notification: there is currently no notification workflow for listings. The approver will need to inform the listing submitter if the listing is rejected.
Data listing permissions
Catalog - Create Listing - can create and submit listings; update visibility for published listings
Catalog - Publish Listings - can approve listings and set the visibility (i.e. select a Catalog to publish to)